Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Trying to Row

This is a large scale painting that my brother-in-law asked me to do earlier this year. It is 24x 30 painted on a gessoed wooden panel. My brother-in-law wanted  this image as it reminded him of the great time they had on the lake. He was on the rowing team at high school, years later he took his wife and son out on the lake, both of them trying to row but all they did was go in circles. I am surprised the boat didn't tip over with all the laughing.

This painting took a number of weeks to complete. Working out the composition took some time with input from my wife and daughter - both are big critiques of my work. (why and how come did you decided to paint that are some of the top questions). I decided to take a progression of photos to show how I progresses. I sketched it on the board and them decided to start with the faces first. This has to be one of the larges portraits that I have painted. The finished painting was given to my sister-in-law for her birthday.










Trying to Row
24 x 36 Oil on gessoed wooden Panel
SOLD
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. A HUGE WOW!! What a wonderful gift recalling a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic painting, Robin! I loved looking at your process. Really great job on the faces. Looks like they were having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete